Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solutions to build a black community

Solutions to build a Black Community!

African Spirituality

“African spirituality” emerging as a new pseudo denomination ultimately an extension of Eurocentric exoticifcation of Africa. We see the loose generalization...

Africa’s History did not start with Slavery

It takes more than a horrifying transatlantic voyage chained in the filthy hold of a slave ship to erase someone’s culture–Maya Angelou

Revolution of Consciousness

Spiritual Connection: Know Thyself!

12 Step Model For A Pan African Mental Health Peer Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Step Model For A Pan African Mental Health Peer Group

12 Step Model For A Pan African
    Mental Health Peer Group

This is Information as provided from another group. Is this something that we can consider here and build upon?

1. We admit we are powerless over self-hatred, racism and white supremacy thinking, and our lives have become unmanageable partly because we live in denial.

2. We have come to believe that a power within ourselves (We are within God and God is within us) can restore us to sanity, freedom, self-determination, independence and nationhood as a Pan African People, as spiritually conscious human beings.

3. We have made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the Higher Power within ourselves.

4. We shall make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. We shall examine our self-hatred and explore why Africans hate Africans, hate North American Africans, hate Caribbean Africans but Europeans and everything they are about: politically, culturally, economically, socially, morally, spiritually and sexually.

5. Admit to the God within ourselves and without, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs, i.e., evil thoughts we harbor, the desire to hate or harm others for any reason.

6. We are entirely ready to have God as we know Him/Her/It, remove all these defects of character that hinder us from achieving God-consciousness and national liberation as a Pan African nation.

7. We humbly ask God, i.e. Higher Power, He/Her/It, to remove our shortcomings, i.e., self-hatred, ignorance, jealousy, envy and greed.

8. Make a list of all the persons we harmed because of self-hatred, racism, white supremacy thinking, capitalist/imperialist greed, lust for power, and become willing to make amends to them all, all the people we robbed, beat and left half-dead on the roadside (physically or emotionally) in our quest to satisfy our addiction to self-hatred and white supremacy thinking.

9. We will make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. We will give reparations to ourselves.

10. Continue to take personal inventory of our self-hatred, racist and white supremacy thinking and behavior, and when we are wrong promptly admit it.

11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the God within and without ourselves as we understand Him/Her/It, praying only for knowledge of His/Her/Its will to free us from self-hatred, racism and white supremacy thinking.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we shall carry the message to the Pan African nation in Africa, North America, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Europe and Asia.

We admit we are powerless over self-hatred, racism and white supremacy thinking, and our lives have become unmanageable partly because we live in denial.
    Powerless? How you do progress by the basis of defeat? It says "partly" unmanageable. Does this address the other "part"? The physical universe is extremely dictatorial.
    We would need a way of self reliance on the way we eat, shelter ourselves and build families. Admitting you're powerless is self defeat IMO. Meaning because most/many do not see a problem with the way we live. How do we promote them a better way outside the materialism of today's world?

6. We are entirely ready to have God as we know Him/Her/It, remove all these defects of character that hinder us from achieving God-consciousness and national liberation as a Pan African nation.
    How can we move on using the term "god" as we knom him/her/it? This to me hinders the evolution the mind. We see things in "objects". This GOD source is not defined by the physical universe. Therefore we need to stop applying gender to it. I will replace the term "god" with spiritual power. The spiritual power is beyond polarity.

defects of character that hinder us from achieving God-consciousness
    All people have god consciousness. It's a matter of distraction and illusions. As well as the need to eat, sleep and make . Also anything physical is subject to polarity. There will always be good and bad people. It's called balance. Yes this so called balance could be overridden by sheer thought. If people where nurtured into progressive thinking beyond emotions and desires, I know that we could have the heaven religious people dream of.

7. We humbly ask God, i. e. Higher Power, He/Her/It, to remove our shortcomings, i. e., self-hatred, ignorance, jealousy, envy and greed.
    How do we ask for anything, for all is given? We are the GOD (spiritual power). The is nothing to remove. We must be shown the tools towards self knowledge. With the acceptance of humility, which IMO jealousy and envy and greed have no place. Ignorance can be had pretty easy with an education called "enlightment".

This is Information as provided from another group. Is this something that we can consider here and build upon?
    Yes this is definitely something to build on here. I feel changing some of the language to it's more uplifting instead to defeating would be beneficial.

4. We shall make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. We shall examine our self-hatred and explore why Africans hate Africans, hate North American Africans, hate Caribbean Africans but Europeans and everything they are about: politically, culturally, economically, socially, morally, spiritually and sexually.
    Great basis. We need to see ourselves more the just the labels and "documentation" of the euro-matrix.

11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the God within and without ourselves as we understand Him/Her/It, praying only for knowledge of His/Her/Its will to free us from self-hatred, racism and white supremacy thinking.
    It will take more than praying. Prayer is great, but application from the conscious to the subconscious is even greater. Again we have to "educate" people on the ills of self hatred and racism and how it attacks us as a people. But never ever from a point of defeat but a point/basis of power. A power that all material objects in the universe manifest. A spiritual power.

We must see each other as each other. We must see beyond the physical world. That can only be done if the physical world is not just based on sheer survival. This is the great dilemma we face as hue-mans. A dilemma we can more than adequately master.

Again I think this post is something to build on. Also IMO calling it mental health continues the dialect and thinking this list is trying to avoid.

Comment

This is a noble goal.

Spirit, I understand your fundamental concerns %1000, however as a blueprint to 'reconstruction', sometime one must resolve to 'deconstruct', not himself but the poision that one has been fed.

Lately, for example, I have been studying the 'study-ers' of our people as I'm sure we would all agree, it is wise to keep an eye on those that may seem 'defacto' in charge of 'us'. I'm disappointed.
      When we consider over the last 50 yrs alone, that more of our people have been 'degreed' in all disciplines than in any other time in history. From medical professionals to lawyers and psychologists, to finance and engineering the whole che-bang.

But where are they in the overall scheme of things today, beneficial to our folk?

Well speaking directly to today's 'black psychologist's' (or rather apologists,) we find them here in 'The Journal of Black Psychology' it seems, still trying to fit a black rock next to a white hard-place. So how can there be progress without a re-examining of individual effort? It's just a question but looka here and decide for yourself.

Diagnosing Personality Disorder in Africans (Blacks) Using the Azibo Nosology: Two Case Studies

+ Author Affiliations
      • 1Christopher House, Trenton, N.J.
      • 2Department of African American Studies, Temple University

Abstract

A nosology is an organized system for diagnosing diseases, disorders, or pathologies, as opposed to their mere enumeration. The present study compared clinical diagnoses of two African (Black) clients using two distinct diagnostic systems, the Eurocentric DSM-III-R nosology and the Africentric Azibo Nosology. The theoretical and paradigmatic importance of the com- parison is that in Eurocentric psychology and psychiatry the DSM-III-R nosology is the standard diagnostic tool, whereas in the Africentric psychology literature this Eurostandard has been challenged as inadequate regarding the diagnosis of personality disorder in Africans. The practical importance of the comparison is that 18 disorders peculiar to the African personality are found in the Azibo Nosology that have no precedent in the DSM-III-R nosology. Three questions are asked in this study: (1) Does the Azibo Nosology accurately reflect the real life conditions of Africans? (2) Can the Azibo Nosology be effectually employed by a therapist? And, (3) is the Azibo Nosology superior to the DSM-III-R on each of the preceding questions? Based on the results of the two case studies presented, the answer to each of the three questions appears affirmative. Recommendations for conducting psychological practice with African clients are offered.

--
      http://jbp.sagepub.com/content/17/2/1.abstract
      --

Sound defeatist? It is and though I could give you case after case and instance after instance of where our 'trusted psychological' professionals have sold us out (and their souls as well...) I'm sure you get my point.

Look for yourself.

-
      http://jbp.sagepub.com/
      -

I'll return to this subject later.

Comment

(btw)

Lately I've found more and more that some our people it seems, are suffering a degree of psychological distress so unparalleled at any time in our (any) history that I've been compelled to discover why. (although of course, I've got a pretty good idea as to why---right now.)

Comment

Originally posted by roarin1 View Post
          This is a noble goal.

Spirit, I understand your fundamental concerns %1000, however as a blueprint to 'reconstruction', sometime one must resolve to 'deconstruct', not himself but the poision that one has been fed.

Lately, for example, I have been studying the 'study-ers' of our people as I'm sure we would all agree, it is wise to keep an eye on those that may seem 'defacto' in charge of 'us'. I'm disappointed.
          When we consider over the last 50 yrs alone, that more of our people have been 'degreed' in all disciplines than in any other time in history. From medical professionals to lawyers and psychologists, to finance and engineering the whole che-bang.

But where are they in the overall scheme of things today, beneficial to our folk?

Well speaking directly to today's 'black psychologist's' (or rather apologists,) we find them here in 'The Journal of Black Psychology' it seems, still trying to fit a black rock next to a white hard-place. So how can there be progress without a re-examining of individual effort? It's just a question but looka here and decide for yourself.

Diagnosing Personality Disorder in Africans (Blacks) Using the Azibo Nosology: Two Case Studies

+ Author Affiliations
          • 1Christopher House, Trenton, N.J.
          • 2Department of African American Studies, Temple University

Abstract

A nosology is an organized system for diagnosing diseases, disorders, or pathologies, as opposed to their mere enumeration. The present study compared clinical diagnoses of two African (Black) clients using two distinct diagnostic systems, the Eurocentric DSM-III-R nosology and the Africentric Azibo Nosology. The theoretical and paradigmatic importance of the com- parison is that in Eurocentric psychology and psychiatry the DSM-III-R nosology is the standard diagnostic tool, whereas in the Africentric psychology literature this Eurostandard has been challenged as inadequate regarding the diagnosis of personality disorder in Africans. The practical importance of the comparison is that 18 disorders peculiar to the African personality are found in the Azibo Nosology that have no precedent in the DSM-III-R nosology. Three questions are asked in this study: (1) Does the Azibo Nosology accurately reflect the real life conditions of Africans? (2) Can the Azibo Nosology be effectually employed by a therapist? And, (3) is the Azibo Nosology superior to the DSM-III-R on each of the preceding questions? Based on the results of the two case studies presented, the answer to each of the three questions appears affirmative. Recommendations for conducting psychological practice with African clients are offered.

--
          http://jbp.sagepub.com/content/17/2/1.abstract
          --

Sound defeatist? It is and though I could give you case after case and instance after instance of where our 'trusted psychological' professionals have sold us out (and their souls as well...) I'm sure you get my point.

Look for yourself.

-
          http://jbp.sagepub.com/
          -

I'll return to this subject later.
          I appreciate your post Roarin1. I in no way don't want to sugarcoat the past. I'm not looking for some feel good solution. I want realness. We can construct, and reconstruct and still use empowering language in my opinion. I overstand the need to address something head on. I don't want to feel like we've lost.

Well speaking directly to today's 'black psychologist's' (or rather apologists,)
          These people were "trained" by the same system that oppresses people of color around the globe. So Roarin1 your post/point is WELL TAKEN.

Yes I do. I greatly appreciate your thought process here.

For the record, I'm in TOTAL agreement that our spiritual/psychology make up should be addressed. This should be addressed from the standpoint of mis-education and programming we've endured over the centuries. Addressed from the point that we are and always were and always will be a great people. This should be addressed from a position of power. The power of you. The power of US.

My overall focus is as long as the matrix exists, we (people) will continue along the present course. How do we administer a cover in the face of constant war? This is a great question, one that has been asked for centuries. Of course there is a cover. It must be radical, but radical is not what people want to do. Why? Because the younger generation knows they're act war just by their actions. The problem which has only been the problem is their programmed like we were and don't understand what the enemy truly is. WOMEN must help lead in the next level of anything we do. Women have always been a driving force, directly and indirectly.

The one trap IMO that we must avoid is LABELS. Yes things/objects need to be identified. But LABELS are different. There are stigmas attached to labels in this psuedo euromatrix illusionary existence we endure. Reason why I mentioned this is "mental health" and it's classifications, "Mental Health" mind you is a DIRECT reflection of the matrix NOT the individual. I think white people would this term/label. I call it "environmental conditioning". We continue to see the individual as the "problem" when it goes deeper, much deeper then that.

Nothing will change until this whole reality changes. Until then we can and should attempt to empower each other by all means necessary. Educate each other on who we really are. And continue to do what Afraka.com is attempting to do. INCORPORATE! All people of afrakan ancestry past and present should look beyond the europeonized borders, and see that no matter where we are on the globe, WE ARE ONE.

Comment

Greetings,

I begin by saying to Bro Spiritual Evolution and Bro Roarin1 thank you both for your responses. This is where dialogue begins and from this, the furtherance of establishing methods on which to build upon.
            While I am not the originator of this material, I believe that with some of these points and references provided, it can be used by some of us as a model for teaching, communications and otherwise...
            I also feel that some of the wording and defining of these 12 steps can be restructured for better deliberation and understanding, even as it already has begun.

@Bro Spiritual:

"Admitting you're powerless is self defeat IMO. Meaning because most/many do not see a problem with the way we live.
            I agree

I looked at that declaration the same way when I first read this first point, but it was in the end of the statement that provided reasoning.

. We admit we are powerless over self-hatred, racism and white supremacy thinking, and our lives have become unmanageable partly because we live in denial.
            To admit powerlessness is self defeating, But many are in; respond with; embraceDenial when faced with truth, facts, solutions that are contrary to their original thought, concepts and participation in change. The fact that many don't see a problem with the way we live and how thing have been interpreted to the masses is Denial in itself. That is when our lives become unmanageable, because nothing appears to be wrong in the first place.
            We promote a better way outside of the materialism, by promoting a greater understanding of our Spiritual Knowledge of Self.

We are entirely ready to have God as we know Him/Her/It, remove all these defects of character that hinder us from achieving God-consciousness and national liberation as a Pan African nation.
            You raise a good point as to the defining or use of the word 'god', and how it is to be considered if used any different than how originally presented. I would also say that while many are in the process of learning and at different degrees of understanding, that the term 'god' should not be offensive or with limitations.
            "It is that great force in the world, a force spiritual and able to shape the physical universe, but that... force not something cut off, not something separate from ourselves. It is an energy in us, strongest in our working, breathing, thinking together as one people; weakest when we are scattered, confused, broken into individual, unconnected fragments." Ayi Kwei Armah's 2000 Seasons
            God, The Supreme Being... is not a He/She. Applying gender is in some ways a part of, or characterizing the Duality of our beings (Male/Female) as created in the likeness, that physical embodiment and functionality of that creative nature. NTR. Our oldest concepts of a god consciousness always inferred a male/female polarity, characteristic and representations. (Maat concepts of balance, harmony, right order...)

Once again I agree that if we are to use these steps as guidelines, that some of the language used can be changed. I also agree that prayer alone is not enough. We must have constructive intervention and understanding of how we see each other, and how we communicate and educate each other on the ill's of self hatred and racism...

@Roarin1

Great post; and point in reference -
            however as a blueprint to 'reconstruction', sometime one must resolve to 'deconstruct', not himself but the poison that one has been fed.
            Yes, this is a valid point in that when it comes to mental health/mental illness, our responses to our environment and life in a whole is a result on what influenced, controlled, and programmed the responsiveness to these things. Some things are hereditary, a type of conditioning, psychological manipulation and even complacency.
            When there has been a destruction and negative impact on our total environment, the manifestations of this is behavioral powerlessness. It then becomes our Response-ability (Re-Afrikaniztion) that will counter those degrees of deconstruction (De-Afrikanization) in self, family, community, nation... and provide mental, spiritual enlightenment and complete liberation.

@Bro Spiritual
            My overall focus is as long as the matrix exists, we (people) will continue along the present course. How do we administer a cover in the face of constant war? This is a great question, one that has been asked for centuries. Of course there is a cover. It must be radical, but radical is not what people want to do. Why? Because the younger generation knows they're act war just by their actions. The problem which has only been the problem is their programmed like we were and don't understand what the enemy truly is. WOMEN must help lead in the next level of anything we do. Women have always been a driving force, directly and indirectly.
            Yes brethren we got to realize that we are at war! and the very livelihood of our cultural heritage, identity and existence is up to us impart new paradigms, behavioral responsiveness, tactics, attitude, respect, understanding, and knowledge of self... for our youth and generations to come. This has to be radical and immediate.

May the dialogue continue here and let's present ways to redefine these 12 steps and then implement them here of Afraka.com and respectively.

Bro Amensph

Comment

Hotep Oba Amensph!

And salutations on your new positioning as Moderator!

Some things are hereditary, a type of conditioning, psychological manipulation and even complacency.
              You make an excellent point regarding heredity and maybe even complacency, (although again...not being a 'professional' I could neither validate nor denounce such hypothesis) still, such veiwpoints lend themselves to even more extensive 'conversation', (of which I agree, could hopefully lead to much more productive conversation in all areas concerning Our People....) because it's already lead me to many more question's than I most certainly have the answers too at this time.

Such as...how much in irrefutable hereditary 'psychological imbalances' --attributable to our people have been exacerbated by our captivity?

For sure we as a people have our work cut out for us....though rest assured I am grateful for and will be researching all the information that I can get my hands on or, at least until I'm satisfied! (as is how we all should.)

NAMASTE

Comment

Dua - Give Thanks Roarin1,

although again... not being a 'professional' I could neither validate nor denounce such hypothesis
                I haven't found where many professionals will admit to there short comings, lack of experience or even training perhaps, when it comes to such sensitive issues, especially for our people. They probably wouldn't anyway because it might ruin their credibility, or put themselves out of business. (Then on the other hand, that's why we are used to having preachers.)

Your research and contributions is what provides validation; we are here to validate each other as this is our house of institution of communication and learning.

Again I say Dua-Thank You for having the interest and concern to share your insights.

I am sure others will participate as you and Bro Spiritual have been doing on this subject.

Iron Sharpen Iron

Comment

Working...
                X