Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solutions to build a black community

Solutions to build a Black Community!

African Spirituality

“African spirituality” emerging as a new pseudo denomination ultimately an extension of Eurocentric exoticifcation of Africa. We see the loose generalization...

Africa’s History did not start with Slavery

It takes more than a horrifying transatlantic voyage chained in the filthy hold of a slave ship to erase someone’s culture–Maya Angelou

Revolution of Consciousness

Spiritual Connection: Know Thyself!

Mental Health is:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Health is:

Mental Health is: A state of emotional and psychological well-being in which an individual is able to use his or her cognitive and emotional capabilities, function in society, and meet the ordinary demands of everyday life.

It is very important that we do not neglect the care and welfare our lives and what it is that makes us a part of a productive society. Without good mental health, our perception of the things around us and who we are will always remain distorted thus preventing transformative change in self, home and community. As Africans in America we must overcome the stigma and effects of post traumatic slavery disorders to better position ourselves away from the systemic tactics that cloud our minds and images of self and a as People. Regardless of where we reside in the Diaspora of the Motherland, we are an African People. Let us continue to pursue all avenues of healing for liberation of our African Minds and Selves.

It is also no secret that mental health professionals are taught traditional European approaches and techniques in regards to mental health treatments. There traditional schools of social work and psychology have not equipped mental health professionals to provide effective mental health treatments to descendants of the African Holocaust.

WE must provide the resources and continue in the process of healing ourselves. WE must define ourselves and move to the forefront in developing the curricula and clinical approaches that we know will work.
    Whenever a group depends on another group to define it, then that group will be molded to the specifications of the definer.

Excellent thread!

As I've mentioned in 'another' thread, the mental disparities surrounding some within our community (of late,) seem to have become more and more prevalent/pronounce. And this pov could very well serve to 'save' some of that 'imposed' hardship on a community already reeling from an imposed imbalance.

My humble efforts (as a non-professional) to broach this topic is strictly from a platform of necessity and concern for our people and of course not in an excercise 'ego' which seems to be the standard of black euro-educated 'professionals' (some...not all.) Of couse some would say that that is the 'true' formula for healing....concern.

I'd like to re-visit this topic soon too.

Excellent entry.

Comment

Originally posted by roarin1 View Post
      My humble efforts (as a non-professional) to broach this topic is strictly from a platform of necessity and concern for our people and of course not in an excercise 'ego' which seems to be the standard of black euro-educated 'professionals' (some...not all.)
      I'd put your objective efforts up against ANY bias psuedo europeon educated "professional".

Comment

I'd put your objective efforts up against ANY bias psuedo europeon educated professional.
        And I yours yung Oba....and I yours...

Comment

Very interesting post this type of stuff I like to read they give us all food for thought truly appreciate the good information.

Comment

Working...
          X