Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solutions to build a black community

Solutions to build a Black Community!

African Spirituality

“African spirituality” emerging as a new pseudo denomination ultimately an extension of Eurocentric exoticifcation of Africa. We see the loose generalization...

Africa’s History did not start with Slavery

It takes more than a horrifying transatlantic voyage chained in the filthy hold of a slave ship to erase someone’s culture–Maya Angelou

Revolution of Consciousness

Spiritual Connection: Know Thyself!

More and More Black Kids In Elementary School Are Killing Themselves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More and More Black Kids In Elementary School Are Killing Themselves

http://www.theblackhomeschool.com/20...ng-themselves/

By: Serena Crawford

A new study has shown an alarming trend in suicide amongst elementary school children (ages 5-11). While the number of children in this age group that commit suicide is still well below other age groups there are still too many children that feel that suicide is their only option. The good news is that the number of white children has decreased significantly since 1990. According to data from JAMA Pediatrics, 1.14 out of every one million children in this age group who were white committed suicide. The number has fallen to 0.77 per million. The bad news is that the number of black children committing suicide has taken an alarming climb. In 1990 the number of black children committing suicide was 1.36 per million. As of 2012 the number was up to 2.54 per million. Why has the rate almost doubled amongst black children and decreased significantly for white children?

Depression in young children is often overlooked. The data on depression in teens and adults is extensive but in young children is lacking. Black Americans historically have a disadvantage when it comes to many things and access to mental health care Is one of those things. The researchers from the Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, OH conducted the study that was published in JAMA Pediactrics’ journal. They stated that while they do not know the exact reason that the suicide rates of black elementary students is on the rise they have suspicions. The researchers believe that the depression in young children is due to increased violence and trauma in the home. Another risk factor is severe over-punishments in schools.

They also found that the number of white children committing suicide with guns has gone down, but has remained steady in black children. They believe that this is because gun safety education is not reaching the black communities. The most common method of suicide in young black boys is hanging, which has tripled while the number for white children has remained the same. At this point more studies need to be done on the mental health of black children and how to give them better access to the resources they need to prevent these tragedies from ever happening.

a culture that produces children who want to kill themselves is a culture that MUST be destroyed!

Comment

All the more reason we should control how our children
      are "educated".

This is mind boggling to me. Children between the ages of 5 -11
      are comtemplating death when IMO they should be comtemplating
      being children.

How have we allowed the mindsets of children to become
      so fatalistic?

(Rhetorical question)

Comment

It shocked me also Spiritual Evolution but I think the cause is more than what they are (or are not) getting within the school system. Totally agree with you that WE should be educating our own children and in addition I think we need to recognize the insanity of rearing children within a cultural context that is wholly alien and antagonistic to their own ancestral culture. I believe part of the pain our young people are experiencing is the confusion between what their spirits are and the dominant culture they live in and are being raised to accept as "good", "normal" and/or "ideal'. If we aren't rearing our children as Afrikans and to recognize and appreci themselves as Afrikans then we are (consciously or unconsciously) leaving them open to spiritual and cultural destruction.

And then when we consider this in light of the mass incarceration of Afrikan adult males and females, the police's deliberate acts of murder (supported and rewarded by the dominant culture), the millions of Afrikans denied the right to life from abortions, kwk we see this as another component of our genocide that we MUST address if we intend to exist as a people in the centuries to come.

Comment

This crisis will only change thru sacrifice. People are not mad
          enough yet to upset their comfort zones. I can't say I blame them
          either. How many people have stepped forward only to be stepped upon?
          People just are not ready to make the real change. The funny thing
          is the easy part is just changing your thought pattern. You and I both
          know this is not easy. If people could only realize how much could be
          accomplished by mastering thoughts. This is why the war of the mind
          is very real and has been for eons.

The human mind in thought is one of the few things that can mirror
          infinity. Thus the potential is infinite. We live in a world of
          distraction. All to keep you from spiritual source. Why? Because
          if you "knew" we would not allow this illusionary structure we are under
          allow to control us. The matrix is about obedience. You don't have time
          to think.

Akua you made an excellent point about being raised in a "culture"
          to accept good normal and/or ideal anything! No boundaries, ethics or morals.
          We live in world were we put material things over life itself.

Once people value the sanctity of life, then we can evolve again.
          Again Akua you are correct saying that any "culture" that can allow
          children to be living with this mindset must be destroyed.

Comment

who are the people that aren't tired enough yet

The thought of seeing the words, " people aren't doing this or that" is alarming. Why is it that we always look outside ourselves. If we see a need to do something, then we need to be the ones that does it. They will become you or you will become them. Law of evolution

Comment

Originally posted by GRIGORI View Post
              If we see a need to do something, then we need to be the ones that does it.
              This is exactly my point. Nobody sees a need. I did mention comfort zones. Yes there are other factors as well
              nothing happens in a bubble.

Comment

solutions

There are many answers. Are you ready to do something. I'm here in St.Louis. I have teamed up with Tariq. I will be doing a seminar here in St. Louis at 7606 Natural Bridge May 30 from 9-11:30 am.. We need people not just talking but willing to jump in. Are you in

Comment

There are many answers. Are you ready to do something. I'm here in St.Louis. I have teamed up with Tariq. I will be doing a seminar here in St. Louis at 7606 Natural Bridge May 30 from 9-11:30 am.. We need people not just talking but willing to jump in. Are you in
                  I'm not in STL. Can you broadcast it thru the chat room on this site on May 30?

Comment

May 30 9-11:30am cst

Yes, it will be in chats under The Awakening

Comment

Yes, it will be in chats under The Awakening
                      I don't see "The Awakening" on this site. I don't see any broadcast of your seminar on this site

Comment

Originally posted by Tariq
                        I totally agree with you Brother spiritual.
                        It's the ONLY way.

Comment

Working...
                        X