Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mental Slavery | The Real Unbreakable Chains

WORSE THAN PHYSICAL CHAINS

Throughout history many nations have suffered a physical defeat, but that has never marked the end of a nation. But when a nation has become the victim of a psychological defeat, then that marks the end of a nation

Mental slavery is a state of mind where discerning between liberation and enslavement is twisted. Where one becomes trapped by misinformation about self and the world. So someone can claim to be conscious,

Runoko rashidi interviewed by brisbane (australia) blacks‏

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runoko rashidi interviewed by brisbane (australia) blacks‏

Runoko Rashidi interviewed by Brisbane (Australia) Blacks

Runoko Rashidi is a historian and anthropologist working to build bridges with Black people struggling for liberation all over the world. He is an author and editor and world traveler and has visited Aboriginal Australia on six occasions from 1998 to 2008. He is a Garveyite and Pan-Africanist whose goal is the total and complete liberation of Black people the world over. His web site is www.travelwithrunoko.com

1) What is decolonization and why is it so important for indigenous/Black peoples across the globe?

Today, when I think of decolonization for Black people I think of the decolonization of the mind. In Africa, for example, the decolonization process took place from the late 1950s to around 1980. But the decolonization of the mind is still going on. It is rather like enslavement. In the Western Hemisphere physical slavery was abolished in the 19th century. But the mental enslavement of our people is far from over.

2) What are some of the effective ways we as indigenous/Black peoples can empower our own communities?

We must do the basic things that all other peoples do. First, we must marry each other. I don't think that we can talk about empowerment if we don't build strong family units. Some people say that love is color blind. I find such comments silly. Indeed, such comments insult my intelligence. Black men must love, honor and respect Black women. And they must demand that respect in return. We must be willing to build the economic bases of our communities. We have to support Black business ventures. We have to be willing to spend money with each other. Thirdly, we must be organized. The system is too powerful for us to defeat it as individuals. Without organization we can never be effective. Then, we must support the conscious artists, scholars and intellectuals among us. We must renew our most positive traditions and renew knowledge of self. As I always say, strategies for Black liberation don't require rocket science. It
    is the implementation that is hard. The other things are intangibles. We must believe in each other again. We must erase self-doubt. We just rise beyond our fear of failure and defeat.

3) What is Black Power and how can we enact it?

Black power is the empowerment of Black people. This does not require us to be anti-white. But it does mean that we will not be respected without empowerment. White supremacy will never be defeated through morality alone. White supremacy only recognizes strength. And Black power is synonymous with strength.

4) What is Black Consciousness and how can we raise it?

Black consciousness means knowledge of self. It means Black awareness. It means Black pride. It means knowing our history. It means knowing our history before we were dominated by Europeans. We say we must remember and we must learn. It means understanding that if we were great once, we have the capacity to be great again.

5) Why is the concept of 'Black is beautiful' so important?

If you don't think that Black is beautiful you might as well give up. If you don't think that Black is beautiful you might as well surrender. If you don't think that Black is beautiful you might as well lay down and die.

One of the most important things that we must do is be aware that other Black peoples around the world have the same histories and issues that we do. We must draw strength in the knowledge we are are not alone, that our struggle is not confined to national borders and boundaries. Our struggle is global. It is international.

We are learning this in the United State and Africa. We are building and rebuilding bridges. The US Civil Rights and Black Power movements occurred at the same time as the movements for decolonization in Africa. The struggle of our people in the Caribbean occurred at the same time as the struggles in the United States and Africa. But what many of us are just becoming aware of is the that freedom struggles in the US, in Africa and the Caribbean were taking place at the same time as the struggle of our sisters and brothers in Australia. Yes, I said our sisters and brothers in Australia! I believe that we are one people, with a common history of struggle and resistance. There is great strength in this.

I salute my sisters and brothers in Australia. I have great respect for them. And united, we can win!
    I am because we are. We are because I AM

Today, when I think of decolonization for Black people I think of the decolonization of the mind. In Africa, for example, the decolonization process took place from the late 1950s to around 1980. But the decolonization of the mind is still going on. It is rather like enslavement. In the Western Hemisphere physical slavery was abolished in the 19th century. But the mental enslavement of our people is far from over.
    This is an excellent post thank you so much sister Sekhmet.

Comment

Working...
    X