Celebrating the ones who helped lift us up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating the ones who helped lift us up

Greetings fam and Happy Malik Shabazz (Malcolm X) Day!!!

Have we (and if we haven't, why don't we) developed a calendar of holydays for Afrikan people? Many in the US observe Malcolm X day and that's wonderful and got me thinking about Afrikan people putting together a calendar of holydays that WE observe and celebrate regardless of whether they are acknowledged by the dominant (for now) society? Wouldn't it be blacknificent if we celebrated (formally) the people and things that matter most to Afrikan people? What if we celebrated (formally) Dessalines Day, Nat Turner Day, Mama Fanny-Lou Day, Chaka Zulu Day, Nzinga Day, Nana Yaa Asanetewaa Day, Queen Nanny Day, Harriet Tubman Day, Afrikan Family Day, Afrikan Men Day, Afrikan Women Day, Afrikan Child (Future) Day; what if we observed (note, not celebrate) Maafa day as an official day of mourning, remembrance and commitment to avenge our ancestors; SankOfa Day where we come together to focus on WHAT happened to us, knowing that only in remembering can we really "go back and fetch it"; Afrikan Sovereignty Day where we (as a whole) come together to refine our vision for Afrikan sovereignty, regroup from setbacks and recommit to the intergenerational work of making complete liberation AND sovereignty a reality. I don't know if this has already been done but, if it hasn't, why don't we get started on putting such a calendar together? There shouldn't be a month that passes that Afrikan people don't have a holyday to observe or celebrate and we should be steadfast and faithful to making the observance these days something we and our families formally do.

What do you think fam?

Celebrating the ones who helped lift us up

Greetings fam and Happy Malik Shabazz (Malcolm X) Day!!!

Have we (and if we haven't, why don't we) developed a calendar of holydays for Afrikan people? Many in the US observe Malcolm X day and that's wonderful and got me thinking about Afrikan people putting together a calendar of holydays that WE observe and celebrate regardless of whether they are acknowledged by the dominant (for now) society? Wouldn't it be blacknificent if we celebrated (formally) the people and things that matter most to Afrikan people? What if we celebrated (formally) Dessalines Day, Nat Turner Day, Mama Fanny-Lou Day, Chaka Zulu Day, Nzinga Day, Nana Yaa Asanetewaa Day, Queen Nanny Day, Harriet Tubman Day, Afrikan Family Day, Afrikan Men Day, Afrikan Women Day, Afrikan Child (Future) Day; what if we observed (note, not celebrate) Maafa day as an official day of mourning, remembrance and commitment to avenge our ancestors; SankOfa Day where we come together to focus on WHAT happened to us, knowing that only in remembering can we really „go back and fetch it”; Afrikan Sovereignty Day where we (as a whole) come together to refine our vision for Afrikan sovereignty, regroup from setbacks and recommit to the intergenerational work of making complete liberation AND sovereignty a reality. I don't know if this has already been done but, if it hasn't, why don't we get started on putting such a calendar together? There shouldn't be a month that passes that Afrikan people don't have a holyday to observe or celebrate and we should be steadfast and faithful to making the observance these days something we and our families formally do.
    Greetings Sister Akua Maat this is a great idea I know we don't have a calendar created here on the site which I believe we can create our own calendar for African men and women in history. I would need help putting this together for us to have here online, We can also work on a calendar offline as well so. I'm for the idea because it's a great one and I thank you so much for your time and energy and the great food for thought. if you would like to help start here online let me know.

Comment

I would to help bro Tariq.

Comment

Great idea. I also wish those days were expressed on our own calendar as well.

Comment

Let's not sleep on this one. I'm happy to work with any other African interested but its a particularly busy time for me right now (ya sis is getting married in 2 weeks y'all!) so if we can get working on this in a month or so that would be great.

Comment

Working...
          X