Announcement

Collapse

Mobile Phone Problem is now fixed!

Great Rising AFraka.com family and to our Newest Members.

You can now upload pictures from mobile phone to your profile page.

The Problem is now fixed.

We truly appreciate your support and patience.

ABIBIFAHODIE!!
See more
See less

What is the 4th of July to a slave ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the 4th of July to a slave ??

I don't get into what "we" CHOOSE to celebrate but please know what these holidays represent. ** smile ** So as some choose to fire up the grill, know our history at that time.

What is the 4th of July to a Slave?

By FREDERICK DOUGLASS
    [A Speech to the Rochester Ladies' Anti-Slavery Society on July 5, 1852]
    Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and natural justice, embodies in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? And am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?
    Would to God, both for your sakes and ours, that an affirmative answer could be truthfully returned to these questions! Then would my task be light, and my burden easy and delightful. For who is there so cold, that a nation's sympathy could not warm him? Who so obdurate and dead to the claims of gratitude, that would not thankfully acknowledge such priceless benefits? Who so stolid and selfish, that would not give his voice to swell the hallelujahs of a nation's jubilee, when the chains of servitude had been torn from his limbs? I am not that man. In a case like that, the dumb might eloquently speak, and the "lame man leap as an hart."
    But such is not the state of the case. I say it with a sad sense of the disparity between us. I am not included within the pale of glorious anniversary! Your high independence only reveals the immeasurable distance between us. The blessings in which you, this day, rejoice, are not enjoyed in common. The rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity and independence, bequeathed by your fathers, is shared by you, not by me. The sunlight that brought light and healing to you, has brought stripes and death to me.

This Fourth July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn. To drag a man in fetters into the grand illuminated temple of liberty, and call upon him to join you in joyous anthems, were inhuman mockery and sacrilegious irony. Do you mean, citizens, to mock me, by asking me to speak today?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/B]

http://www.counterpunch.org/douglass07042003.html

Love and Peace family !!!

hy blacks should not celebrate July 4th

July 4, 2008 Frederick Douglass said it best when he said:
    Your high independence only reveals the immeasurable distance between us. The blessings in which you, this day, rejoice, are not enjoyed in common. The rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity and independence, bequeathed by your fathers, is shared by you, not by me. The sunlight that brought light and healing to you, has brought stripes and death to me. This Fourth July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn.”
    He continued……..

“What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer; a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciation of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade and solemnity, are, to Him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy — a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages.There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of the United States, at this very hour.”

No Independence Day is not a day for blacks. To join in such a mockery of democracy with whites is to play the fool. This is not our country. We own almost nothing. We have silenced our calls for reparations except for Conyers’ yearly HR40 resolution. Black people are a tool of whites. A few of us are allowed financial success so whites can divide us and then comfort themselves with negative stereotypes for the rest. Black people have turned our backs on each other for material gain. We have forgotten who are enemy is and have sought to erase our blackness in a quest for material whiteness. We are no better than the white men who enslaved our ancestors for such treason. We have literally sold our souls to the devil.
    What hypocrisy to claim unfair treatment at the hands of your government and simultaneously enslave Africans! Whites are somehow able to hold two conflicting ideals are the same time without ever having to resolve that conflict. They use several techniques to do this, not worth discussing now. All we need to know is that whites as a whole will never act in the interest of black people. If our interests happen to overlap then so be it but it will never be done our of for us. We will continue to be killed, incarcerated, exploited and the like because we tolerate it and toleration of evil is acceptance of the same.

http://racerules.wordpress.com/2008/...rate-july-4th/

Comment

Again, My family, Celebrate what you choose but celebrate KNOWING the history behind these holidays.

We have festivals of our own. OUR old traditions may be more fruitful to the soul. I personally agree with all that I posted, Wholeheartedly.

As I see others blacks firing up the grill. Shooting off fireworks, Even waving a flag , Literally celebrating as if July 4th , Was a great patriotic holiday for us. I wonder and ponder deeply what would my great great grandmother or Grandfather say, If they saw such foolishness ??

With knowledge comes responsibility. You're welcome to share your thoughts.

But lets go back to that day.

Love and peace

Comment

Lets see......

July 4th , 1776

Blacks was still in shackles. When did slavery end ?? That depends where you were at ?? But it definitely wasn't in 1776. And depends on what you call, "end" .

Lets use the census:

"In 1830, there were 6,152 free Negroes in the District of Columbia compared with 6,152 slaves; in 1840, 8,361 compared with 4,694 slaves; and in 1860, 11,131 compared with only 3,185. Thus is 30 years, the free colored population was nearly doubled, while the slave population was halved. It would be inaccurate to infer from this that there was any wholesale manumission or that the District was haven for free Negroes. The free Negroes were of several classes: Those whose antecedents had never been slaves, such as descendents of indentured servants; those born of free parent, or of free mothers; those manumitted; those who had bought their own freedom, or whose kinsmen had bought it for them; and those who were successful runaways. These free Negroes were an ever present 'Bad example' to the slaves of the District and of the surrounding slave States, and the more they prospered, the 'worse example' they became. Especially stringent regulations affecting free Negroes were added by the District Common Council to the slave codes. Every free Negro was required; (1) to give the mayor 'satisfactory evidence of freedom', plus $50 for himself, and $50 for each member of his family; (2) to post a bond of $1,000 and to secure five white guarantors of good behavior. It was necessary to show manumission papers in order to remain free; even so, gangs bent on kidnapping could and frequently did seize and destroy them. No Negro, slave or free, could testify against whites. The jails were crowded with captured free Negroes and suspected runaways; there were 290 of these in the city jail at one time. Many were sold for prison fees, ostensibly for a fixed period, but really for life. Meetings for any other than fraternal and religious purposes were forbidden. After Nat Turner's insurrection in Virginia in 1831, colored preachers were banned." (Washington, City and Capital, Federal Writers' Project, Works Progress Administration, American Guide Series. Washington, 1937, USGPO. P71-2) Foreign travelers accounts from the 1830 and 1840 described the Robey and Williams slave pens which stood along the Mall in the shadow of the Capitol; the two were often juxtaposed in artworks, and the presence of slave pens in the center of the nation's capital captured the attention of abolitionists. (Ironically, today the Museum of African Art sits less than a block away from the former location of the Robey and Williams slave pens.) (The Mall, On-line Reference from the University of Virginia American Studies Department, Site developed by Mary Halnon )

"The District of Columbia, too small for slave rearing itself, served as depot for the purchase of interstate traders, who combed Maryland and northern Virginia for slaves. Since the slave jails, colloquially known as 'Georgia pens", and described by an ex-slave as worse than hog holes, were inadequate for the great demand, the public jails were made use of, accommodations for the criminals having to wait upon the more pressing and lucrative traffic in slaves. There were pens in what is now Potomac Park: and one in the Decatur House, fronting on what is now Lafayette Square. More notorious were McCandless' Tavern in Georgetown; in Washington, Robey's Tavern at Seventh and Maryland Avenue, and Williams' 'Yellow House' at Eighth and B street SW. In Alexandria, the pretentious establishment of Armfield and Franklin, who by 1834 were sending more than a thousand slaves a year to the Southwest, was succeeded and surpassed by the shambles of much-feared Kephart." (Washington, City and Capital, Federal Writers' Project, Works Progress Administration, American Guide Series. Washington, 1937, USGPO. p69)

http://innercity.org/holt/chron_1830_end.html

So we can say it ended roughly in 1890

But then we still had to contend with Jim Crow laws and we was still considered to be 1 /third of a person. It can be argued that we are still enslaved to this day. For those that THINK THEY ARE NOT .... Simply stop working

All comments are welcomed

Love and peace

Comment

What are we teaching our children by our actions ???

What is that ?? Shhhhhhh, be quiet.... Listen ..... Is that...... Nawwwww, Can't be... but errr ....It is , It is !!! Our ancestors are actually clapping ?!!! ** smile**

Last edited by Blkbutterfly41; 07-04-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the post my sister this was an excellent read hope some of us would take the time the study the European holidays to understand that celebrate them was not a joyful celebration for our people. Let us take the time to teach our children about these certain holidays!

ABIBIFAHODIE!

Comment

Yes this was indeed an excellent post our sister had good information about this day definitely not a day for us to rejoice in Celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by Urenna View Post
                Thank you for the post my sister this was an excellent read hope some of us would take the time the study the European holidays to understand that celebrate them was not a joyful celebration for our people. Let us take the time to teach our children about these certain holidays!

ABIBIFAHODIE!
                Exactly. To be honest the calendar itself needs to be revamped. All so called "holy"days must go. We must restore true celebration and not celebrate these death days lol. Thanksgiving for instance is the celebration of the massacre of indigenous people of this land. A celebration of whites celebrating that they could finally eat turkey without looking over there shoulders for all the atrocities they committed against indigenous people. Christmas lol fake.

We must restore the truth. Who celebrates a new year in the middle of the night in the dead of winter? who? The term "dead" of winter was used as irony.

My question is rhetorical in nature.

Think how deep that is. We celebrate a new cycle in the middle of the night in the dead of winter when in reality the cycle should be celebrated in spring which easter and the other crap has over taken.

We celebrate the SUN they celebrate sun screen. See and know the difference.

Anyways fourth of july is a farce too. England still and always has run they money. Example: Federal Reserve Bank lol

Give praise to the ancestors!
                Last edited by Spiritual Evolution; 07-16-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Indeed Brother Spiritual I totally agree. We need creating our own calendar for our special celebration days!

Comment

Working...
                  X